I recently had an issue with the Gallery application on my Google Android 2.1. I would get an error message every time I started the Gallery app telling me "Sorry! The application Gallery (process com.collliris.media) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.". Selecting 'Force Close' just put it into a loop. The only way to get out was to press the 'Return' key as the Galley app restarted.
I used SyncToy and backed up the contents of my Android. I then I found several articles and tried a few of the suggestions. The following is the final process I went through to fix this issue:
- I mounted my Android to my PC via the USB cable, created a SyncToy backup and copied the folder to another drive (I am going to modify the backup before restoring it, so I want a copy of the original backup)
- I umounted my Android from the PC.
- On my Android, I went to Settings>SD card and phone storage> and selected 'Unmount SD card'
- I then selected 'Format SD card'. Once reformatted, you will want to remount the SD card (my Android remounted the SD card automatically)
- In the backup on my PC, I deleted the contents of the \Android\data\com.cooliris.media and \DCIM\.thumbnails directories
- I then mounted the Android to my PC, recreated the folder pairing in Synctoy and restored my data back to the Android
After syncing my applications a couple of times, all of my settings were back. And now the Gallery application works perfectly fine again.
Hopes this helps,